Pandora Creates Shared Musical Experiences for Portal from Facebook
This post comes from Pandora’s blog.
Whether you’re on the road traveling for work or vacation, living thousands of miles away from your friends and family, or just across the city, being truly present with the people you love can feel…well, disconnected. We’re teaming up with Facebook for its launch of Portal, two new video communication devices for the home that allow users to engage in video chats with their closest friends and family, to help change that.
Thanks to Pandora, music can be a part of the way you communicate. As of today, all listeners across ad-supported, Plus, and Premium tiers can play their music on Pandora using the power of their voice with Alexa, or share their favorite tunes while chatting with up to six friends directly on Portal’s touchscreen interface. And, when played, music will be magically synced across your Portal devices– as if you were all in the same room together.
So, how does it work?
- When video chatting with one friend or a group of friends, simply use the touchscreen to search, create, and select stations from your My Music list.
- Once your shared listening session has begun, control music playback of all of your favorite stations– whether by genre, track, artist, or personalized just to you with Thumbprint Radio.
- All participants on the listening session will have access to a “Now Playing” screen to check out what’s currently on deck.
- Your crew isn’t loving your DJ skills? At any point, a friend can control their own volume or pause the music to stop it from playing.
Need some musical inspo?
- Long-distance relationships can be brutal: keep the spark alive with Beats Between the Sheets or Country Love Songs.
- Missing your high school crew: bring back an epic dance sesh with TWERK or Rap and Hip Hop Pre-Game.
- Bestie got her heart broken: whip out the ice cream and tune into Love Stinks or Break-Up Songs.
- Semester abroad FOMO: they’ll feel like they’re traveling along for the ride with Reggaeton or K-Pop.
- Dad needs to ditch the Dad bod: get pops in beast mode with Hard Rock Strength Training or 80s Cardio.
- Mom misses you at the dinner table: you’ll be eating her lasagna in spirit with Italian Cooking Music or Classical Dinner Party.
- Down the hall is just too far to venture: chug some gatorade and turn on Hangover Helper or Sleep It Off.
Near, far, wherever you are– feeling connected just got easier through new shared musical experiences with Pandora and Portal from Facebook.